A Brief History of the Faculty of Dentistry, Chulalongkorn University
One of the great royal legacies of His Majesty King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) lies in the development of Thailandís educational system. It was among his primary missions to provide the same educational opportunity for all of his royal subjects and to establish institutions of higher learning. As a part of this royal policy, the Civil Service Training School was established in 1899 to train prospective government officers, and was renamed the Royal Pages School in 1902.
HM King Vajiravudh (Rama VI), intending to carry out the vision of his father, King Chulalongkorn, expanded the Royal Pages School into an institution of higher education and named it the ďCivil Service College of King ChulalongkornĒ in 1911. At this time, the King also granted a 523-acre plot of land in Patumwan district to the college. On March 26, 1917, HM King Vajiravudh elevated the status of the Civil Service College to that of a university and gave it the name of ďChulalongkorn UniversityĒ in memory of his father.
It was not until May 16, 1940, that Field Marshal P. Phibulsongkhram, former Prime Minister and then Rector of Chulalongkorn University, declared the establishment of the Division of Dentistry as an independent division with Professor Colonel Luang Vach Vidyavaddhana as its chair. The first class of the Division of Dentistry started on June 5, 1940, with 8 students.
In 1942, the University of Medical Sciences was established. The Faculty of Medicine and the Divisions of Dentistry, Pharmacy, and Veterinary Medicine were transferred to be under the supervision of the Department of Medicine, Ministry of Public Health.
The status of the Division of Dentistry was then elevated to Faculty of Dentistry with Professor Colonel Luang Vach Vidyavaddhana as its first Dean.
In 1969, the University of Medical Sciences was granted the new name of ďMahidol UniversityĒ in commemoration of HRH Prince Mahidol of Songkhla, the late father of HM King Ananda Mahidol (Rama VIII) and HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX). Then, in 1972, the Faculty of Dentistry was transferred from Mahidol University back to Chulalongkorn University the same as when it was first established.