Residency Training Program in Endodontics
Diploma of the Thai board of Endodontics
Language of instruction:
This training program emphasizes both theoretical knowledge and practical clinical training in the field of Endodontics. It offers diverse patient cases and opportunities for conducting research that can lead to publications in journals. Graduates can sit for the written examination starting from the end of the second year of training and can take the oral examination upon completion of the training.
Period of admission:
Applications are typically open around September of each year, according to the announcement of The Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Thailand.
The training program for resident dentists specialized in Endodontics is initiated by the Department of Operative Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Chulalongkorn University. Established in 2005, the program inaugurated its first cohort in the same academic year and has been admitting trainees annually since then.
This curriculum undergoes continuous development and refinement, with monthly curriculum management committee meetings and institutional quality assessments every five years by the Royal College of Dental Surgeons, the latest of which occurred on December 24, 2018.
Principles and Rationale
The aim of this curriculum is to cultivate specialized dentists in the field of Endodontics with the following competencies:
The curriculum’s ultimate objective is to equip trainees with the knowledge and expertise to successfully pass the specialized degree examination in the field of Endodontics and continue their journey as proficient dental experts. Most of the trainees from this program are recognized by the Royal College of Dental Surgeons in the specialty of Endodontics.
We collaborate with prominent institutions, including Ramathibodi Hospital and Phramongkutklao Hospital, to provide trainees with clinical practice opportunities in hospitals with diverse patient cases from various systems.
Message from the Program Director
Career Path Advice
Becoming a specialist dentist in the field of Endodontics is crucial as it plays a significant role in treating patients and alleviating their pain. Moreover, root canal treatment requires a high level of expertise, making it a currently sought-after and in-demand specialization, both in government and private sectors.
- Academic section: consists of lectures, academic conferences, seminars, journals, and clubs, as follows:
- Basic Sciences or fundamental medical sciences related to endodontics, accounting for 30%.
- Specialized courses in Endodontics and related subjects, accounting for 70%.
- Practical section: involves practical training in the field of Endodontics for a duration of three years.
- Research Output: A minimum of one research paper is required, which must be published or accepted for publication in a nationally or internationally recognized journal, according to the quality criteria of the The Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Thailand, on the topic of the research work of Dental Resident, 2018.
- Elective courses: 1 credit unit.
Emphasis on clinical training and conducting preliminary evaluations and implementation for the research of choice.
Emphasis on clinical training in the clinic and research examinations.
Seminar Courses: Mandatory in every semester of each academic year.
Further course information can be found on the website of the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Thailand at www.royalthaident.org under the topic “Dental Resident.”
The academic year begins in late June and training concludes at the end of July in the third year.
Eligibility Criteria for Applicants:
Each academic year, a minimum of 50% of the available slots will be reserved for applicants affiliated with the government sector. Affiliated applicants must submit documentation of approved study leave for this program from their respective affiliations. Applicants must have obtained a professional dental license from the Thai Dental Council for at least 1 year and meet the English language proficiency requirements.
Please refer to the schedule from the Thai Dental Council.
For this program, applicants must apply through the The Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Thailand. Further information about the program and application deadlines can be found at www.royalthaident.org , under the section “Dental Resident.”
ภาคการศึกษาละ 90,000 บาท
ภาคการศึกษาละ 45,000 บาท
Activities of the Program
Research of the Students
- Nuamwisudhi P and Jearanaiphaisarn T. Oral Functional Behaviors and Tooth Factors Associated with Cracked Teeth in Asymptomatic Patients. J Endod 2021;47:1383–1390.
- Sinsareekul C and Hiran-us S. Comparison of the efficacy of three different supplementary cleaning protocols in root-filled teeth with a bioceramic sealer after retreatment—a micro-computed tomographic study. Clin Oral Investig 2022;26: 3515–3521.
- Thanaruengrong P, Kulvitit S, Navachinda M and Charoenlarp P.Prevalence of complex root canal morphology in the mandibular first and second premolars in Thai population: CBCT analysis. BMC Oral Health. 2021;21(1):449.
- Hanuksornnarong P and Jearanaiphaisarn T. Comparison Video Based Learning Versus Live Demonstration of Dental Student Knowledge and Skills for Working Length Determination Using Electronic Apex Locator. J DENT ASSOC THAI VOL.69 NO.1 JANUARY – MARCH 2019: 101-109.
Department of Operative Dentistry
Faculty of Dentistry
10th Floor, Borommanard Srinakarin Building
34 Henri-Dunant Road, Wangmai,
Pathumwan, Bangkok, 10330